TO AVOID THESE RIP-OFFS, REMEMBER SIX KEYWORDS:
- Preparation: Think carefully about what you want. Prepare a rough plan & list the items you want.
- References: A reputable contractor should be more than willing to supply you with a list of recent clients. Ask for more than one and then contact them.
- Caution: Not all contractors operate within the law. Watch out for contractors who solicit door-to-door, accepts only cash payments, pressures you for an immediate decision, and asks you to pay for the entire job up-front.
- Contract: The importance of a written contract cannot be over-emphasized.
- Payment: NEVER pay for the entire job up-front. The contract should provide for progress payments based on work completed at each stage of the project.
- Follow-through: Monitor the job. Ask questions immediately. Keep copies of all paperwork, and don't make the final payment until you are satisfied with the work.